The Gold Chain Incident

0002

The Gold Chain Incident

As my mother sat in my room, basking in the warm sunlight streaming through the newly cleaned windows, she was reminded of a story from her childhood in the hills of Shillong. It was a tale of a lost treasure, a family's heartbreak, and an unlikely hero who helped them find it.

When my mother was a young girl, she lived in a small, cramped apartment with her parents and grandparents. Her grandfather had a habit of laying his blanket out on the roof to dry and warm in the sun each weekend, a common practice to reduce moisture and warmth for an afternoon nap. But one day, tragedy struck when my grandmother's precious gold sun pendant chain, passed down through generations, went missing from under her pillow. The family searched high and low for the valuable heirloom, but it was nowhere to be found.

My grandfather was sceptical when a neighbour suggested they seek the help of an astrologer, but my grandmother was willing to try anything. They made the journey to the astrologer's home, a journey of switching buses and jeeps, and found him sitting on his porch, smoking and sipping tea. He told them to come back the next morning, and my grandfather agreed, despite his reluctance.

The next day, my grandfather returned alone to the astrologer's home. This time, the man was sitting in his drawing room, and he greeted my grandfather with a smile. He asked my grandfather a few questions, and then he had him close his eyes. When my grandfather opened them, he was holding the missing gold chain in his hand.

The astrologer explained that he had used his powers of intuition to locate the missing treasure. My grandfather was shocked, but my grandmother was overjoyed. They thanked the astrologer and returned home with the precious chain in tow.

From that day on, my grandmother never took off her sun pendant chain, and it became a symbol of hope and resilience for my mother and her family. And as my mother sat in my room, surrounded by the warmth and light of the sun, she was reminded of that magical moment in her past.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The burning eye...

Best feeling in the world

How could this happen?